Friday, June 12, 2009

That's Just So Punny.

Made my first attempt at script writing tonight. It was an epic fail. I didn't realize that writing sitcoms required following a stringent formula and being funny. I gave up after a page--30 seconds filmed. The fruits of my labor:

TEASER




Scene A





FADE IN:


EXT. RESTAURANT TERRACE - NIGHT

(MAGAZINE STAFF, EDITOR, INTERN A AND B, BRATTY INTERNS)


A LONG TABLE WITH 10 PLACE MATS ON EACH SIDE IS SET. MARTINI AND WATER GLASSES ARE SCATTERED ALONG THE TABLE. EMPTY APPETIZER PLATES ARE POSITIONED AT THE CENTER OF EACH OF THE THREE PORTIONS OF THE TABLE.


MAGAZINE STAFF SIT AT THE TABLE. INTERN A AND INTERN B NERVOUSLY TAKE A SIP OF WATER AS EDITOR RISES.


INTERN A



Can you believe we’re really doing this?

INTERN B



Interning at Terse Communication’s “Teen” magazine this summer? Yeah, it’s plausible...

INTERN A



(DREAMILY) But it’s real...

INTERN B



I just said that...

INTERN A



Together! BFFs! 

INTERN A



Right. (POINTS TO DRINK) That is a Shirley Temple, right?

INTERN A



It’s as if the journalism gods are noticing us.


INTERN B



Tweedledi over here has been on her cell phone the entire time. They haven’t said a word to us.



The margins for the dialogue I slaved so long over didn't show. Clearly the entire being "witty" concept didn't go very well. I wouldn't watch this sitcom. 

I'll give it another shot tomorrow night when I have character names, but there's no way I can incorporate funny lines on the spot. Good thing I'm not going in to that industry.

Donate any good puns/witty banter ideas here though. It'll be enlightening and delighting. Cue laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment